Aatwal is a kheer or porridge prepared from rice, fenugreek seeds, coconut milk, and jaggery. In Goa, it is given for the lactating mothers. In Goa, it is customary to serve Aatwal to the guests who are invited for the naming ceremony of the newborn.
Aatwal (Rice & Fenugreek Porridge in Coconut Milk)Course: AppetizersCuisine: indianDifficulty: Medium
3/4 Cup rice
1/2 Tablespoon Methi Seeds/Fenugreek Seeds
1/2 Cup Jaggery (Can adjust as per taste)
1 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
1 Teaspoon Cardamom powder
Pinch of salt
- Soak rice and fenugreek seeds in a cup of water for about 2 hours.
- Pressure cook rice along with methi for unto 2 whistles.
- In a heavy bottom vessel, take cooked rice with methi and put in jaggery. Cook on medium flame till jaggery melts completely.
- Add salt.
- Now add coconut milk. Stir well. Cook for another 2 minutes, add cardamom powder, mix and remove from heat.
- Don’t make Aatwal look runny or very thick. The consistency must be medium thin. Remember, Aatwal thickens up on cooling.
- Enjoy Aatwal hot or cold.