Sheera is a sweet dish made from suji, sugar and ghee. It can be served for breakfast, as a part of the meal or as an evening tea time snack.
SheeraCourse: Breakfast, SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Rava / sooji – 3/4 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Vanaspati / pure ghee – 2 to 3 tbsp
Water – 2 cups
Cashew nuts, raisins, almonds – as per your requirement
Edible saffron colour – a pinch
Cardamom powder – a pinch (optional)
- Heat ghee in a kadai and add rava.
- Stir fry till it changes colour and gives out aroma.
- Combine water, sugar, nuts, raisins and colour in a thick bottomed pan. Bring it to boil.
- Add hot rava to boiling water mix. (Both should be hot)
- Add cardamom powder.
- Stir well (don’t keep on stirring, it will become sticky) and cook covered for 2 min. Keep it covered for another 2 – 3 min.
- Press it in a mould or a small bowl and invert it on a plate.
- Serve hot.
- If you are using saffron strands, then avoid using colour.
Before frying rava, 2 cloves can be added to the ghee.
You may use more ghee if you wish.
Avoid salt, but pinch of salt can be added.