Ambadyachi Karam is a Goan traditional dish and is normally prepared for Diwali celebrations, it is prepared even otherwise. The main ingredients are hog plums, coconut, and jaggery. It is flavored with Shankar chhap hing. Its preparation may vary from household to household, it can be cooked or kept uncooked. Cooking makes it tastier.
Ambadyachi KaramCourse: Veg SambarCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Ambade (hog plums) – 6
Coconut (scrapped) – 1 ½ cup
Jaggery (grated) – 1/2 cup or as per your requirement
Shankar chhap hing* – small piece
Peppercorns – 6 to 8
Fenugreek seeds – 8 to 10
Red chilies – 2 (Kashmiri), 2 (Byadagi) or as per your requirement
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt to taste (3/4 to 1 tsp)
- Deskin all ambade (hog plums) using peeler, and preserve the peels. Keep them aside.
- Dry roast peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, red chilies and shankar chhap hing in a thick bottomed pan. Take them out and crush the red chilies.
- Now, slightly dry roast the scrapped coconut.
- Combine roasted coconut with all the roasted ingredients and ambade flesh. Grind all these ingredients with the help of mortar and pestle or by using the chutney jar of your mixer (use little water for grinding).
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan; add asafoetida, turmeric powder and deskined ambade. Stir-fry for 5 seconds.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water and 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Let ambade get cooked for about 1 to 2 min).
- Add jaggery and let it melt.
- Add ground paste and more salt. Add water if needed and cook for 2 to 3 min.
- Let it cool.
- Serve Ambadyachi Karam as a side dish.