Ansachi shaak, an authentic Goan dish is sweet, tangy and mild spicy pineapple curry. It is Satvik Aahar-No Onion No Garlic dish regularly prepared on puja days or some special occasions. Ghota (small pulpy mangoes) or cubes of Totapuri Mangoes can also be added to this dish.
Ansaachi Shaak (Goan Pineapple Curry)Course: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Ripe Pineapple (peeled and cut into thin triangles) – 5 cups
Scrapped coconut – 1 1/4 cup
Jaggery (grated) – 4 to 5 tbsp
Kashmiri mirchi – 1
Byadgi mirchi – 1
Corriander seeds – 1 tsp
Peppercorns – 6
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
Hing – 1/3 tsp
Oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Dry roast coriander seeds, peppercorns and mirchi.
- Combine roasted ingredients with coconut and grind by adding water to a coarse or fine paste as per your requirement. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, let them crackle.
- Add hing and turmeric powder.
- Add pineapple, toss well.
- Add salt and water.
- When pineapple is cooked, add jaggery and stir well.
- Add ground paste, little bit of salt, water if necessary and stir well.
- Simmer for 2 – 3 min.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and dal.
- You may add boiled chana dal while cooking pineapple.
You may give it a tempering of vaddio.