Bangdyachi Uddamethi is a fish curry of the Saraswat family in Goa. It is made with Bangda (Mackerel) and rare masala blend that includes Udid dal (skinless black gram dal), methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) and soaked raw Rice. This recipe is also widely prepared in Malvan and few other coastal belts closer to Goa.
Bangdyachi Uddamethi (Bangda Uddamethi)Course: Non Veg, Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
450 gms Mackerel (cut into medium sized pieces)
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Red Chili Powder
Salt to taste
8 Dried Red Chilies (4 Byadagi and 4 Spicy chili variety)
¾th Cup=90 gms Grated Fresh Coconut
180 gms Onions (sliced lengthwise)- Half quantity will be used in tadka and remaining half in masala
1 tsp Urad Dal
½ tsp Fenugreek seeds (Methi)
1 tsp Rice (wash and drain)
2 tsp Whole Coriander Seeds
1 small marble sized Tamarind Ball
½ tsp Black Peppercorns
- We will start with fish marination. Add Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, salt and lemon juice. Coat the fish pieces in this marination. Let fish rest in this marination for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, we will make a masala paste. Heat 1 tbsp Oil in a pan. Add dried red Chilies. When an aroma emanates from the pan, take chilies off the heat.
- Similarly, we will roast other ingredients: Roast Whole Coriander Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Black Peppercorns Urad Dal and Rice.
- Add Coconut and roast until it turns brown in color. Fry half the quantity of Onions until Onions turn brown in color. As Onions turn brown, take it off the heat. Allow fried ingredients to cool down.
- Grind into a fine paste. Add Tamarind and grind into a fine paste using enough water.
- Heat 4 tbsp Oil in a pan. Fry remaining Onions, until Onions become soft. Add Masala Paste.
- Add Salt to taste. Stir until Oil oozes out from the masala. You may add some water while stiring.
- Now, add lukewarm water. You may adjust the consistency of gravy. We have added 2-1/2 Cup of water. Let the Curry simmer.
- Reduce the heat and add Bangda pieces and cook covered on low heat.
- Fish gets cooked in 5-7 mins. Overcooking may cause disintegration. Switch off the heat and serve.
- Serve with Brown rice and Bangda Fry.