Bangdyache Tephala Hooman (Mackerel Curry – Goan Style)Course: SeafoodCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
4 Mackerels (Cleaned and cut into 3 pieces each)
4 pcs kokum sola
1 green chilli – cut lengthwise
6-8 green raw Tephala or dried Tephala
200 ml water
Salt, to taste
Paste to Grind:
100 gms Coconut, fresh grated
6 dried red Chilies, whole
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
½ to 1 tsp tamarind pulp
8 – 10 Peppercorns
1 tsp Coriander seeds
1 cup water
- Marinate the fish with salt and turmeric and set aside.
- Grind all the ingredients as listed above under ‘paste to grind’ with freshly grated coconut with water.
- In a pan, add the finely ground coconut paste and heat the paste. Once paste get heated add the slit green chilies, kokum sola, and tephala. Continue heating and bring it to a boil.
- Wash the salted mackerel pieces with water and add it to the boiling coconut paste.
- Let it simmer on low flame for about 4 – 5 mins. Season with salt as necessary.
- Avoid stirring vigorously as it tends to break and disintegrate the mackerels.
Serve Bangdyache Tephala Hooman – (Mackerel Curry – Goan Style) hot with steamed rice.