Carrot chutney (Gajar ki chutney) is an easy and tasty alternative chutney recipe, to your day-to-day breakfast or lunch. It can be an ideal second chutney, if not the main one to many south Indian popular breakfast dishes like idli, dosa and Pongal recipes. The recipe is extremely simple to prepare yet tastes amazing with the combination of sweet and spice-infused within it.
Carrot Chutney (Gajar Ki Chutney)Course: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
2 tsp oil
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp chana dal
4 dried red chilli
2 clove garlic
2 tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 cup carrot, peeled & chopped
3 tbsp coconut, grated
small ball tamarind / imli
½ tsp salt
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard / rai
few curry leaves
- Firstly, in a tawa heat 2 tsp oil and roast 1 tsp urad dal, 1 tsp chana dal and 4 dried red chilli.
- Also, saute 2 clove garlic and 2 tbsp onion until the raw smell disappears.
- Further, add 1 cup chopped the carrot and saute until the colour changes.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely, and transfer to the blender.
- Add 3 tbsp coconut, small ball tamarind and ½ tsp salt.
- Add in water as required and blend to smooth paste.
- Now prepare the tempering by heating 2 tsp oil.
- Add 1 tsp mustard and few curry leaves. Allow to splutter.
- Finally, pour the tempering over carrot chutney and serve with dosa or idli.
- Firstly, peel the carrot for rich orange colour for chutney.
Also, skip the coconut if you do not prefer the flavor.
Additionally, adding onions and garlic is optional, however, it enhances the flavor.
Finally, carrot chutney recipe tastes great when prepared slightly spicy.