This ‘One Pot’ Chicken Pulao is a finger-licking spicy dish made keeping in mind the satiating blend of chicken, tomatoes and aromatic basmati rice. This dish is perfect for a quick meal where everything is put into one pan and the result is a delicious flavorful Chicken Pulao.
Chicken PulaoCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1 kg Chicken Curry Cut
1 cup Curd
2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
3 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Mint Chopped
2 tbsp Coriander Chopped
3 tbsp Ghee
2-inch Cinnamon Stick
2 Black Cardamom
1 cup Onion Sliced
1 tsp Ginger Paste
3-4 Green Chilli Slit into half
1 cup Tomato Chopped
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 cups Basmati Rice
Salt to taste
- Add chicken, curd, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt, mint and coriander in a bowl.
- Leave aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom and black peppercorn and fry for a few a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry until slightly browned.
- Add ginger paste and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add green chilli and tomato and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken with marinade and cook for 3-4 minutes on hight heat.
- Simmer the heat and cover and cook until chicken is 80% done.
- Remove the lid and cook on high heat until all the water is reduced.
- Add lemon juice and rice along with 3 and 1/2 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Cover the pan with a tight lid.
- Cook the pulao on very low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the pulao with a fork.
- Drizzle some ghee on top.
- Garnish with fried onion, fresh coriander and mint and serve hot with Onion Tomato Raita and some Mint Coriander Chutney to take it to next level.
- Use long grain basmati rice to make the pulao for best taste. Having said that any rice works well in this recipe.
Adjust the green chilies according to your taste.
You can make this pulao in pressure cooker or Instant Pot as well.
You can make colorful chicken pulao by adding a pinch of red-orange food color and yellow food color.
You may use oil instead of ghee, but the true aroma of pulao is because of ghee.
It’s good to use ‘tandoori masala’ instead of ‘garam masala powder.’