Coconut Chutney is one of the versatile chutneys that pairs well with any South Indian snack or breakfast. It is also used in many Goan dishes with breakfast.
Coconut Chutney (for Dosa, Idli & Chapati)Course: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1 cup coconut, fresh / desiccated
3 green chilli
small ball sized tamarind / imli
½ tsp salt
¼-½ cup water
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds / rai
½ tsp urad dal
2 dried kashmiri red chilli
few curry leaves
- Firstly, in a blender take 1 cup coconut, 3 green chilli, small ball sized tamarind and ½ tsp salt.
- Add in ¼-½ cup water as required depending on variety of coconut used.
- Blend to smooth paste adding more water if required.
- Now prepare the tempering by heating 2 tsp oil.
- Add in 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp urad dal, 2 dried red chilli and few curry leaves. Allow to splutter.
- Finally, pour the tempering over coconut chutney and serve with idli, dosa or rice.
- Firstly, use fresh coconut for juicier and flavored chutney.
Also add roasted peanuts / gram dal for restaurant style coconut chutney recipe.
Additionally, add coriander leaves for different flavor.
Finally, adjust the consistency of coconut chutney to your choice.