Dahi Bhindi is Okra cooked in a yogurt gravy. It is easy to make and goes well with any Indian bread.
Dahi BhindiCourse: Veg, Veg Breakfast, Main DishCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 cup Onion Cubed
400 g Bhindi
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Hing
2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
2-3 Green Chilies Slit into half
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
Salt to taste
1 cup Yogurt
1 tsp All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Wash the bhindi and wipe them with a kitchen towel.
- Cut them into 1-inch-long pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add bhindi and fry until they are slightly browned.
- Drain on a plate.
- Add onion and fry until onion is golden brown.
- Add cumin seeds and hing and fry for a few seconds
- Now add ginger garlic paste and green chilli and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt to taste and cook for a minute.
- Whisk yogurt with all purpose flour and add it in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until oil starts to separate from the sides.
- Add fried bhindi and 1 cup of water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.
- Always wash okra properly and pat dry it with a kitchen towel. Rest it for at least 30 minutes before usage to prevent slime in bhindi.
Always use nicely whisked yogurt for preparing the curry. Do not add the curd in its natural form as it might not give a smooth and silky texture to the gravy.
Also add fried okra into the curry at the last or just a few minutes before finally serving it.