Dudhi Bharta uses pumpkin (Kaddu) cooked with onion, and variety of spices. Pumpkin bharta generally served with phulka/roti and mango pickle.
Dudhi BhartaCourse: Main Course, Veg, Veg BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
2 Cup Red pumpkin (Kaddu), chopped (Kaddu)
1/4 Cup (4 tbs) Onions, finely chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1/2 Teaspoon Fennel (Saunf)
1/4 Teaspoon Nigella (Kalonji)
1 Pinch Fenugreek (Methi)
1 Pinch Asafoetida
1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
1 Teaspoon Chili powder
1 1/2 Teaspoon Amchur (Mango Powder)
1 Tablespoon Oil
Salt, to Taste
2 Tablespoon Coriander, chopped
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil.
- Add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, nigella seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the pumpkin, asafoetida, turmeric powder, chili powder and salt with 1/2 cup of water.
- Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles so that the pumpkin becomes mushy.
- Add the amchur and salt, mix well.
- Simmer gently till the oil separates from the pumpkin
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander.