A delicious handi chicken is made with aromatic spices, cashew, and yogurt in a vessel called handi.
Handi is a kind of cooking pan that was used in Indian cooking with a shallow depth and a wide bottom in olden days which was made of clay. However, these days it is not so common to cook in such pots or to even find it.
Handi Chicken (Murg Handi)Course: Non Veg, Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
750 gms Chicken on Bone
3 big Tomatoes
2 medium sliced Onions
1 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 cup Curd
1/2 cup Full Cream
2 tbsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Red Chili Powder
1 tsp Fenugreek Leaves (Kasthuri Methi)
Salt to taste
3 -4 tbsp Ghee / Oil
3 tsp Garam Masala (Ingredients given below)
For Garam Masala:
3 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
3 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 1/2 tsp Black peppercorns
4 Cloves (Laung)
1 ” Cinnamon Stick piece
3 brown Cardamom
2 tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
1 Star Anise
2 dry Red Chilies
Finely chopped green coriander
- Heat ghee or oil in a heavy bottom pan, add chicken pieces and fry till they are done. Take them out on a paper towel.
- In the remaining ghee add the onions sliced and saute them till light brown. Make sure not burn them.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till all the raw smell disappears.
- Now add all the dry spices – Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder. Add a tablespoon of water so that the spices do not burn.
- Once the masala is nicely cooked add the tomato puree and cook it till the oil separates.
- Now add beaten curd and cook till the curd gets fully incorporated in the gravy.
- When the oil starts to separate add the chicken pieces and mix well so that all the pieces are fully smeared with the masala. Let the chicken simmer for few minutes in this masala.
- Once the chicken is fully done add the cream and kasuri methi and garam masala.
- Cook for just 2 minutes on low flame and then take it out in a serving dish.
- Garnish with the finely chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot with paratha or chapati or hot rice.