Fish balchao is a Goan specialty. It is pickling in a hot tangy chilly tomato-based sauce.
Fish Balchao – A Goan specialtyCourse: AppetizersCuisine: indianDifficulty: Medium
6 fillets or steaks of any firm fish
1 onion, finally chopped
oil for shallow frying
2 tbsp Balchao paste
- For making Balchao paste:
- 20 dry kashmiri Chilies
- 10 cloves Garlic
- /2- tsp Turmeric powder
- inch Cinnamon bark
- tsp Coriander seeds
- /4 tsp Cummin seeds
- Little Tamarind (Supari size)
- Coconut vinegar
- Preparation of Balchao paste:
- Grind together the ingredients of balchao past in enough vinegar to give a thick paste.
- Balchao preparation:
- Fry the onions until brown, add the balchao masala and fry for about 5 minutes’ over low heat.
- Add the balchao and continue to cook.
- In a separate pan fry the fish slightly.
- Add the balchao masala – onion mixture to the fry fish, adding a little water if the paste is too thick.
- Simmer until the fish is cooked. Serve with plain boiled rice.