Fish Kalputi is a dish typically made of fish heads. This dish uses big fish heads like Snapper fish, King Fish, Perch head (Chonak), Salman (Rawas), big Pomfret heads and tails. Fish kalputi is delicacy of Goan food.
Fish Kalputi / Kulputti (Fish Head Curry) – Goan SpecialtyCourse: Non Veg, Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
500 – 700 g fish head pieces (Fish names given above)
1 ½ cup Onion, chopped fine
3 tbsp crushed Ginger
1 tsp of Tamarind pulp
1 tsp red Chili powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
3 tsp Coconut grated
6 to 7 Kokum shells
10 -15 Tephla
10 Bhinna Sola
3 green Chilies, slit vertically
1 tbsp Coconut oil
Coriander, to garnish
Salt, to taste
- Apply salt to the fish pieces and keep aside
- In a pan, add oil. Once it heats, add onion and ginger
- Saute on slow flame stirring intermittently, till the onion softens well
- Slightly mix in a mixer with little water, tamarind, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coconut. Add this mixture to onion-ginger mixture contained in the pan.
- Mix well and then add the fish pieces after washing them with water.
- Stir well and add salt as required
- Do not add water, the fish leaves out it’s juices
- Finally, just sprinkle a little water if required
- Cook for around 10 mins covered on slow flame
- Add Add tephla, bhinna sola (kokum shells), slit green chilies. and chopped coriander.
- Now “Jiggle” the pan again. Avoid over stirring at this point.
- Cover and cook for 5 mins more
- Serve hot alongside rice and curry