Garam masala is made from many different spices blended together as per your own taste. The selected whole spices are toasted and ground together to bring out their flavours.
Garam Masala Powder (For Summer & Winter)Course: Main Course, Veg, Veg BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1 cup Coriander seeds
3 tsp Cumin seeds (Cuminum Cyminum/Jeera)
1 tsp Black cumin seeds (Elwendia Persica/Shahe Jeera)
2 -3 Black cardamom (Amomum Subulatum)
1 medium-size Stone flower (Dagad phool)
2 heaped tbsp Black peppercorns
2-inch Cinnamon stick
8-10 Green cardamom
1 Star anise (Chakri Phool)
2 medium Bay leaves
3-4 Byadgi red chilli (optional)
½ tsp Salt
In winters add:
½ no large Nutmeg
In summers add:
1½ tsp Fennel seeds
- In a pan, add coriander seeds and roast them lightly. Remove and keep aside.
- Now in the same pan add cumin seeds, black cumin seeds and also roast them lightly and keep them aside to cool.
- Now again in the same pan add byadgi red chilli, black cardamom, black peppercorns, green cardamom, cloves, star anise, mace, bay leaves, salt and roast them until fragrant.
- Remove and combine them all and let them cool down properly.
- Add them to a blender jar and make fine powder from it and store it in an airtight container.