Ghotachen Sasav is a Goan traditional side dish prepared from ghota (juicy & less pulpy small mangoes), coconut, red chili, and jaggery, flavored with spluttered and powdered mustard seeds (sasavan). It is a raw dish (it is not cooked).
Ghotachen SasavCourse: Main Course, DessertCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Mangoes (ghota) – 6
Coconut (scrapped) – 5 to 6 tbsp
Jaggery (grated) – 4 tbsp
Red chilies – 2
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Salt to taste
- Wash mangoes. Soften them by pressing on all sides. Remove the peels, collect juice and seeds in a bowl.
- Add jaggery and keep aside.
- Heat a tempering pan and add mustard seeds, cover them while spluttering. When it stops spluttering put off the flame. It will give a nice smoky aroma. Let them cool. Powder them with a mortar and pestle, keep aside.
- Break red chilies and slightly dry roast them for 5 seconds. Grind with coconut by adding sufficient water.
- Add the paste to mangoes, add salt and mustard seeds powder, mix well.
- Serve it as a side dish with dal rice.