Mutton Sukha is a delectable dish, cooked by most Goan houses. This delicious dish can be best prepared at home with easily available ingredients. Mutton Sukha tastes best when served with steaming hot rice or jowar/rice rotis. If you have friends dropping by and you want to treat them with something delicious as well as easy, then this is your perfect go-to recipe. Try this dish and relish it with your loved ones.
Goan Mutton SukhaCourse: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
For marination of Mutton pieces:
1 kilo mutton, tender or medium
1 tsp saijeera
1 tsp turmeric
30 flakes of garlic
2 inch ginger
5 green chilies
Instruction: Grind all above to a paste and apply to the mutton pieces and keep aside.
For Garam Masala
Pepper 1 tsp
Cinnamon 2 inch
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
Badishep (Fennel) 1 tsp
Nutmeg 1/4 th
Instruction: Roast all the above spices in oil ( coconut/sunflower) and grind to a paste.
For Coarse spicy paste:
Take 1 full grated coconut
Onions 6 no’s. ( Two for roasting with coconut and remaining 4 to add to mutton) finely chopped.
3 tbsp chili powder or less depending upon the spiciness preferred.
2 tsp poppy seeds
Instruction: Heat oil and saute onion till brown. To this, add the grated coconut and roast well till it gives out an aroma. Grind it to a dry coarse paste.
- In a pan take oil and heat it. To this add poppy seeds. After sauting for 2 mins add onions.
- When the onions turn pink add the marinated mutton. Cook it on medium flame upto half done. Add little water if necessary.
- Now add the garam masala paste. Cook till mutton is fully cooked.
- Now add the coarse paste of coconut . Cook the mixture well and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Avoid using too much water since the gravy should be dry.
- Serve Mutton Sukha with steaming hot rice or with jowar/rice rotis.
- You can add 2 -3 long slit green chilies after adding the grated coconut paste . If green chilies are added, reduce the chili powder quantity by a tsp.
- If you want a reddish hue to your dish, use deseeded Kashmiri red chilies while roasting coconut.
- Pressure cook the mutton if it is medium tenderness with 2 – 3 whistles.