Recheado Stuffed Mackerel is a signature seafood delight of Goa. Recheado Stuffed Mackerel is crispy pan-fried mackerel stuffed with atypical Goan spice paste which is loved by all fish eaters in Goa and also by all tourists visiting Goa.
For best taste, Mackerels stuffed with Recheado Masala are refrigerated overnight for marination and absorption of flavours into the mackerels. These mackerels are than pan-fried using cooking oil.
Goan Recheado Stuffed Mackerel is served with onion salad in steaming hot rice thali.
Goan Recheado Stuffed MackerelCourse: Main Course, StarterCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
4 Mackerels, medium size
1 tbsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1 tsp Lime juice
6 dried red Chilis
½ tsp Cumin seeds
1 big Onion, chopped
4 tsp Vinegar
Oil for frying, as required
1 cup Rice flour
Salt to taste
- Clean Mackerel and give vertical cut along the middle bone from the mouth side without making two halves.
- Remove the middle bone.
- Marinade mackerel with salt, turmeric, ginger-garlic paste and lime juice.
- Grind read chilies, cloves, cumin seeds, onion, vinegar, and salt to fine paste using very little water.
- Heat oil on a pan and salute this mixture for about 1 – 2 minutes. Add lime juice and mix well.
- Stuff the marinated mackerels with this mixture.
- Roll the stuffed mackerel over rice flour and shallow fry till golden brown.
- Serve Recheado Stuffed Mackerel with onion salad in a steaming hot rice thali.
- Fresh fish and fresh spices bring out the flavors better.
- Use a good non-stick skillet to fry the fish.
- Make sure the oil is hot, or else the fish tends to stick. Once you place the fish in the skillet, do not move it until that side is cooked. Avoid flipping multiple times.