Hara bhara kabab is an Indian snack/starter. An easy alternative for all kebab lovers but are vegetarian. It is prepared with green vegetables and leafy vegetables which gives a green color to this kebab and also the name.
Hara Bhara KababCourse: Snacks, BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Spinach – 15 to 18 leaves without stem
Fresh peas (blanched) – 1/2 cup
Potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed) – 2 medium
Green chili – 1 spicy or as per your requirement
Ginger (chopped) – 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves – handful
Mint leaves – 3 to 5
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Lime juice – 1 1/2 tsp
Roasted besan – 2 tsp
Maida – 1 1/2 tsp
Corn flour – 2 tbsp
Cashewnuts – 8 halves
Oil for shallow frying
Salt to taste
- Wash spinach and add to the boiling water, let it boil for 3 min approx. Drain and immerse in cold water. (This process is called blanching and helps in retaining the colour of vegetables)
- Squeeze the leaves, so as to drain extra water.
- Grind spinach, peas, ginger, green chili, coriander leaves, mint leaves and cumin seeds by adding lime juice to a coarse paste. (No water to be added)
- Combine ground paste, potato, maida, roasted besan and salt.
- Divide the mixture into 8 balls and flatten them with your palms.
- Coat them lightly with corn flour (dry) and place the cashew nut half on one side.
- Shallow fry on low flame till golden brown on both the sides.
- Serve with ketchup or mint chutney.
- If you find the mixture sticky, you may use more besan in it or even bread crumbs can be added.
If you want them to be crispy, then dip them in a thin corn flour paste and coat with bread crumbs. Deep fry.
You may use onion and garlic in the preparation.