Hyderabadi biryani is believed to have originated in the kitchens of the Nizam of Hyderabad, as a blend of Mughlai and Iranian cuisine. Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is a delicious medley of fine long grain rice spices and chicken pieces. Hyderabadi biryani is basically rice cooked with chicken in layers and on very slow heat or dum. There are many ways in a which a biryani is prepared and each method is unique and have its own significance. Chicken Biryani can be served with any raita of your choice like Onion Tomato Raita, and serve Mirchi ka Salan with it too.
Hyderabadi Chicken BiryaniCourse: AppetizersCuisine: indianDifficulty: Medium
For the rice
3 cups Long Grain Basmati Rice
1 tsp Shahi Jeera
2 Black Cardamom
2-3 Green Cardamom
2 flowers Javitri
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
5-6 Black Peppercorns
2 Bay Leaf
2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
4 tsp Salt
For the chicken
750 g Chicken Curry Cut
1 tsp Shahi Jeera
2 tsp Ghee
2 tsp Ginger paste
2 tsp Garlic Paste
1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
4 tsp Green Chilli Finely Chopped
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
200 g Curd
2 tbsp Mint Chopped
2 tbsp Coriander Chopped
1/4 cup Golden Fried Onion
For assembling the biryani:
1/2 cup Milk
10-12 strands Saffron Soaked in 2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup Golden Fried Onion
1 tbsp Coriander Chopped
1 tbsp Mint Chopped
2 tbsp Ghee
- For the rice:
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 40-45 minutes.
- Heat 10-12 cups of water in a large pot.
- Take a cloth and add shahi jeera, black cardamom, green cardamom, javitri, cloves, cumin seeds, black peppercorn, cinnamon and bay leaf and make a potli.
- Add potli masala, ginger garlic paste and salt in the pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Drain the rice and add it in the boiling water.
- For the Chicken:
- Mix chicken with shahi jeera, ghee, ginger paste, garlic paste, garam masala powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, vegetable oil, green chilli and lemon juice and marinate for 10-12 hours.
- Add curd, mint, coriander and golden fried onion in the marinated chicken and mix well.
- Assembling the biryani:
- Transfer the chicken along with the marinade in a heavy bottom pan.
- Once the rice gets 20% cooked, take out half of the rice and top it over the chicken.
- Once the remaining rice is cooked to 80%, take it out and top it over the 20% cooked rice.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup milk, saffron soaked in water, golden brown onion, coriander, mint and ghee on top.
- Cover the pan tightly with a lid.
- Place the pan on a very slow heat for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the lid and mix the biryani gently.
- Serve hot.
- Use the best quality long grain basmati rice which is at least 2 years old is considered best to make a good biryani.
The chicken must be marinated beforehand. Marinating it beforehand will make it tender and easy to cook.
Use a heavy bottom pan with tight fit lid to assemble the biryani. The biryani needs to be cooked for 35-40 minutes on low heat.
Making Birista at home is the best way to go.
Do not stir the rice much while cooking otherwise it will break the grains.