Egg Biryani is a flavorful and delicious Indian rice preparation where rice is cooked with a spicy egg layer. It is super easy to make at home.
Hyderabadi Egg BiryaniCourse: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
3 cups Long Grain Basmati rice
1 tbsp Ghee
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Lemon juice
6 cups Water
3-4 drops Kewra essence
For the Masala:
2 tbsp Oil
3 tbsp Ghee
1 and 1/2 cup Onion Chopped
2 Green chilli Slit into halves
2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1 cup Tomato Chopped
2 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Garam masala powder
1/2 cup Curd
Salt to taste
8 Boiled eggs Peeled
Oil for frying eggs
1 pinch Saffron Soaked in 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup Browned onion
2 tbsp Coriander Chopped
2 tbsp Mint Chopped
10-12 Fried Almonds
10-12 Fried Cashew nuts
15-20 Fried Raisins
- Poke the boiled eggs with a tooth pick all over and fry them till golden brown from all the sides.
- Be careful while frying the eggs as they splatter a lot.
- You can cover the pan with a lid while the eggs are frying.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan.
- Add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add green chilies and ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Add tomatoes and fry for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder along with curd and little water and cook till the oil starts to separate from the sides.
- Add eggs and cook for another minute.
- The masala should not be too dry at this stage.
- Wash the rice and soak in enough water for an hour.
- Drain the water.
- Add rice, ghee, salt, lemon juice, water and kewra essence in a pan and cover and cook till rice is 90% done.
- Drain the rice and layer it over the egg masala.
- Sprinkle saffron soaked in milk, browned onions, coriander, mint , fried almonds, cashew nuts and raisins on top.
- Cover the lid of the pan tightly and cook on very low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid of the pan and give the Biryani a gentle mix.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve Hyderabadi Egg Biryani hot with raita
- Use the best quality rice to make biryani.
Use a heavy bottom pan to assemble the biryani. The biryani needs to be cooked for 40-45 minutes on low heat.
Always wipe the eggs before frying them. It will prevent them from spluttering. Also, make sure to poke them with a fork or tooth pick before frying.
Golden fried onions or Birista is a very important ingredient to make a good biryani.
Do not stir the rice much while cooking otherwise it will break the grains.