Idli Sambar is a lentil-based spicy curry made with a blend of spices and vegetables. Idli recipes are incomplete without chutney or sambar, and ideally, most of them crave for idli sambar combination for morning breakfast.
Idli SambarCourse: Veg SambarCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
For Sambar Powder:
1 tsp coconut oil
½ tsp methi / fenugreek
¼ cup coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin / jeera
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp chana dal
20 dried red chilli
few curry leaves
¼ tsp hing / asafoetida
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
¼ tsp methi / fenugreek
pinch hing / asafoetida
few curry leaves
4 shallots, halves
2 chilli, slit
1 tomato, chopped
½ carrot, chopped
1 potato, cubed
5 beans, chopped
5 pieces’ drumstick
½ brinjal / baingan, cubed
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tsp jaggery
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
¾ cup tamarind extract
1 cup toor dal, boiled
2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- Firstly, in a large kadai heat, 2 tsp oil and splutter tempering.
- Add 4 shallots, 2 chilli and saute for a minute till it changes colour.
- Further, add 1 tomato and continue to cook.
- Now add mixed vegetables and saute for 2 minutes.
- Further, add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp jaggery, 1 tsp salt and 1 cup water.
- Mix well, cover and boil for 10 minutes.
- Now add ¾ cup tamarind extract and mix well.
- Cover and boil for 10 minutes.
- Additionally, add 1 cup toor dal, water and mix well.
- Add in 4 tsp of prepared sambar powder.
- Boil for a minute, until the flavors are well absorbed.
- Add in 2 tbsp coriander leaves and mix well.
- Finally, enjoy idli sambar with hot steamed idli.
- Firstly, add vegetables of your choice to make sambar more nutritious and tasty.
Also, add tamarind extract only after vegetables are almost cooked. Else sometimes, vegetables will not cook.
Additionally, adjust the consistency of sambar as it thickens once cooled.
Finally, idli sambar tastes great when served in a slightly watery consistency.