Gram flour dumplings cooked in a yogurt-based gravy. Kadhi Pakora is traditionally eaten with rice, but in general, you can eat it with anything – rice, roti, or any type of flatbread.
Kadhi Pakora (Authentic Punjabi Kadhi Pakora)Course: Main Course, SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
½ cup Besan (aka Chickpeas Flour) for pakoras
4 tbsp Besan (aka Chickpeas Flour) for kadhi
2 cups Sour Curd
3 cups Water
2-3 tbsp Cooking Oil
¼ cup Onions for pakoras (finely chopped)
¼ cup Onions for kadhi (lengthwise sliced)
2 Whole Red Chilies
Salt (according to taste)
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
¼ tsp Hing (Asafetida)
1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Preparing Pakoras:
- Take ½ cup besan, ¼ tsp salt, little bit of red chili powder in a bowl and mix them well. Now add little water to make smooth, paste like batter. (about 4-5 tbsp of water is sufficient)
- Now, add 2 tbsp curd and mix well.
- Then add 1 tspn finely chopped onions and mix them well.
- Now heat oil in a wok. with the help of a spoon carefully drop batter in oil to make pakoras. This can also be done by hand but be careful of hot oil.
- Now put heat to medium-high and let them fry to golden brown color.
- Preparing Kadhi:
- First blend the curd in a blender or you can whisk it to make it smooth.
- Now take 4 tbsp besan in a bowl and make a smooth batter by mixing with water.
- Now heat little oil in a pan, when its hot put heat to medium and add hing and fenugreek seeds. When they start spluttering add sliced onions, stir it and cook on medium heat till they turn slightly brown.
- When onions are cooked add turmeric powder, red chili powder and give it a nice stir.
- Now add besan batter to curd mixture and stir it immediately to avoid getting any lumps in kadhi.
- After that add 3 cups of water, stir it on high heat till the kadhi starts boiling. Put the heat to low and continue cooking for around 30 mins. Be careful to keep stirring in between so that kadhi doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Now add ½ tspn salt and mix it well. Adding salt at this time avoids curdling of kadhi.
- Repairing Kadhi Pakora:
- Add fried pakoras to hot kadhi and cook for 2-3 mins on low heat so that pakoras absorb the taste of kadhi and become soft.
- Tampering Tadka to Pakora Kadhi:
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a small pan. When oil is medium hot add ½ tspn Cumin seeds, 1 whole red Chilies and give it a nice stir.
- Add pinch of red chilli powder, mix them well and pour this tadka on top of kadhi. Garnish kadhi with little chopped coriander.
- Our delicious kadhi pakoda is ready to be served.