Kanda pohe is a Maharashtrian breakfast dish. This dish is prepared in almost every household for breakfast or for evening tea time snacks.
Kanda Batat PohaCourse: Breakfast, SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1 cup Poha (Beaten Rice / Flattened Rice)
1 big Onion, finely chopped / sliced
1 boiled Potato (Peeled and chopped)
Few curry leaves
2 green Chilies, chopped
1 tablespoon roasted Peanuts
1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon red Chili powder
3/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
A pinch of Sugar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Lemon juice
Few fresh Coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Oil
Salt to taste
- Rinse the poha in water and put in the strainer, until turns soft. Poha should lose their crunchiness and when you break them between your finger, they should easily get crushed or mashed.
- Finely slice 1 onion and keep aside.
- Chop the boiled potato and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and throw mustard seeds. Allow the seeds to splutter and then add curry leaves, thinly sliced onions and 2 chopped green chilies.
- Saute the onion for 1-2 minutes on low flame, till it is translucent.
- Add roasted peanuts and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add soaked poha, 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, a pinch of sugar, 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix all spices very well with poha.
- Cover and steam the poha for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Keep checking after 1 to 1.5 minutes and give a stir again.
- Switch off the fire and let the poha remain covered for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle some lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Give a gentle stir and serve it hot.
- You can add green peas and chopped carrot in kanda poha.
Boiled potato is an optional ingredient in this poha recipe.
If you do not have roasted peanuts in your hand, then take normal peanuts and roast them first in some oil before adding in poha. Whole or Crushed peanuts can be used in this poha.