This halwa is made from Maidolli Kelli, variety of banana basically a plantain named after a place called Moira in Goa. Similar variety of banana is available in Kerala too, and called Ethakka.
Kellyacho Halwa (sweet dish) very commonly prepared in Goa.
Kelyacho Halwo (Banana Halwa)Course: Breakfast, SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
3 ripe Bananas, Maidolli Kelli (long variety)
9-10 Tbsp Sugar
3 tablespoons Ghee
4 Cloves (Laung)
1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- To begin with peel and slice the bananas into thin rounds.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, add the bananas and stir fry in the ghee for a few seconds until it released an aroma.
- Separately add a 2 to 3 tablespoons of water, sugar and cloves and cook on low heat until the liquid thickens. When you lift it and drop, it should fall in thick drops and not a stream.
- Add banana rounds fried with ghee to the thick sugar liquid, add the cardamom powder to the Banana Halwa and turn off the heat. Allow the halwa to cool and serve. The banana halwa thickens as it cools down.
- Serve the Goan Style Banana Halwa as a dessert or even when you are craving for something sweet at any time of the day.