Maddi or colocasia roots are seasonally available in Goa. Xacuti is a Goan spicy dish. It is a coconut and onion based curry with varied spices. The curry paste can also be used for mushrooms, soya chunks and cauliflower. Maddi is normally shallow fried and served as a side dish. It is used in curries too.
Maddechi Xacuti (Colocasia root Curry)Course: Main Course, BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
For Maddechi Xacuti:
Maddi – 3/4 of a small maddi
Onion (chopped) – 1 large
Refined Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
Coriander leaves – for garnishing
Sugar – 1/3 tsp (optional)
Salt to taste
For the Marinade:
Green chili – 1
Coriander leaves – handful
Garlic – 8 cloves
Ginger – 1/2″ piece
Yogurt – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
For the Xacuti paste:
Coconut (scrapped) – 1 1/2 cup
Onion (sliced) – 1 medium
Cloves – 4
Star anise (seeds removed) – 3 petals
Cinnamon – 1/2″ stick
Peppercorns – 6 to 8
Green + Black cardamom – 3 + 3 seeds
Nutmeg – a tiny piece
Mace – 2 thin petals
Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
Poppy seeds – 1/3 tsp
Cumin seeds – a pinch
Coriander seeds – 3/4 tsp
Kashmiri mirchi – 1
Byadagi mirchi / any other red chili – 1 to 2 or as per your requirement
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Tamarind – half a marble sized ball
Oil (preferably coconut oil) – 2 tbsp
- For the Marinade:
- Grind green chili, coriander leaves, ginger and garlic to a fine paste without water or by adding a spoonful of water.
- Combine it with yogurt, turmeric powder and salt.
- For making Xacuti paste:
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Fry spices numbering 3 to 12 till they give out aroma, take them out. In the same oil fry red chilies and at last coriander seeds. Take them out.
- In the same oil fry onion till golden brown, add coconut and stir fry till coconut turns slightly brown (flame should me low to medium).
- Grind all the ingredients including tamarind and turmeric powder to a fine paste by adding sufficient water.
- For making Maddechi Xacuti:
- Wash maddi and let it dry completely. Discard one end. Slice 3/4 of it (1/2″ thickness). Remaining 1/4 could be refrigerated for some other preparation, but discard the other end while using it later. Peel the slices and cube them. You require 3 1/2 cups of cubes. Immerse them in a bowl of water. Wash them 3 to 4 times and drain. You may use hand gloves, as it may cause itching.
- Combine with the marinade and rest it for at least half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and stir fry onion till it softens.
- Add marinated maddi and stir fry for a min.
- Cook it covered on low flame without adding water. Turn it occasionally. Do not overcook. (The cooking time may vary from maddi to maddi, but approximately 20 to 25 min would be required.)
- When maddi is cooked, add 2 to 3 cups of water and stir well. Bring it to boil. Simmer for a minute.
- Add xacuti paste, salt and sugar, stir well.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 min.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with pav, bread or rice.