Maskachi Bhaji (Moringa Leaves Stir Fry with Jackfruit Seeds)Course: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
6 sprig Drumstick Leaves (Moringa/Murungai Keerai)
8 Jackfruit Seeds (Kathal)
3 Dry red chilies
1 Onion, chopped finely
3 tablespoons Fresh coconut, grated
1 teaspoon Jaggery
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
Salt, to taste
- Soak the jackfruit seeds in hot water for 30 minutes and then cut them into halves.
- Pick the Moringa leaves away from the stems, discard the stem.
- Wash the moringa leaves thoroughly, and chop the leaves finely. Drain the water and keep them aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add the chopped moringa leaves, jackfruit seeds and dry red chilies along with 1/4 cup of water. Pressure cook 3 whistles and turn off the flame. allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Meanwhile, add oil in a kadai on medium heat, add the onions to it and saute them until they turn translucent. this will take 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the chopped moringa leaves and jackfruit seeds to the kadai. Saute it all together so the flavors blend. Add turmeric and jaggery and mix well till combined. Add salt to taste, sprinkle the freshly grated coconut over it and give it a good stir.
- Serve Goan maskachi bhaji along with steamed rice at lunch or dinner.