Matar pulao is a simple veg pulao recipe prepared with just green peas and dry spices. It is ideal lunch box recipes which can be prepared in a jiffy, but not restricted to try for dinner and even breakfast.
Matar Pulao (Green Peas Pulao)Course: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
5 cloves / lavang
1 bay leaf / tej patta
1-star anise / chakr phool
1-inch cinnamon stick / dalchini
10 black pepper / kali mirch
3 cardamom / elachi
1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced
1 small green chili, slit lengthwise
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 cup peas / matar, fresh / frozen
1 cup basmati rice, soaked 30 minutes
1.5 cups water
salt to taste
- Firstly, in a cooker heat ghee and add cumin seeds.
- Further add cloves, bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon stick, black pepper and cardamom. Saute till they turn aromatic.
- Furthermore, saute onions till they turn translucent.
- Also saute green chili and ginger-garlic paste.
- Additionally, add green peas and saute well. Either add fresh or frozen peas.
- Further add basmati rice soaked for at least 30 minutes and saute gently.
- Now add 1.5 cups of water. Always add 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of basmati rice.
- Additionally, add salt to taste and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Once the pressure releases from the cooker, gently fluff.
- Finally, serve peas pulao or mattar pulao with raita or with paneer curries.
- Firstly, use basmati rice for more rich flavors. However, you can also prepare with sona masuri rice.
Additionally, add vegetables of your choice to make more nutritious.
Furthermore, pulao tastes great when kept very simple and prepared with more spices.
Finally, matar pulao or peas pulao taste great when served hot.