Medu vada is a crispy south Indian fritter recipe, prepared from urad dal. Typically, it is served with idli and the idli vada combination with chutney and sambar is the popular breakfast in many households.
Medu VadaCourse: BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
2 cups White urad dal (split black lentils without skin)
1/2 tsp peppercorns crushed
4 green chilies finely chopped
1/2 tsp onion powder
A pinch of baking soda
Oil to deep fry
Salt to taste
- Soak the urad dal for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Next morning grind to make a smooth batter.
- You may use little amount of water while grinding.
- Add salt, baking soda, onion powder, crushed peppercorns and green chilies.
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan.
- Now take a small portion of the batter, make a whole in the center with the help of you thumb and pour directly into the hot oil.
- Fry these vada’s few at a time until golden brown in color.
- Take out on oil absorbent paper and serve with sambar and coconut chutney.
- You can add chopped onion in the batter.
For giving the proper shape to the vada’s, arrange the small balls on a plate, then make the holes in the centers and pour into the hot oil.
If you are making these vadas for the first time then you may not be able to make proper vada’s, but don’t worry, you will expertise after few tries.