This Fresh Methi and Chicken Curry is a keeper since long. The subtle flavor of fresh Fenugreek leaves that comes in every bite along with a spicy gravy makes this dish very special. You could either serve this Chicken Methi with Garlic Naan, Rotis or Pudina Laccha Parathas whichever is your choice.
Methi Chicken (Chicken Methi)Course: Main CourseCuisine: indianDifficulty: Medium
200 gms Chicken (boneless or on bone)
1 bunch Fenugreek leaves (Methi)
4 Tomatoes chopped
2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
6 green Chilies chopped
1/2 tsp red Chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Coriander powder
2 tbsp Curd
1/2 tsp Poppy seeds (khus-khus)
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Lemon juice
2 tsp fresh Cream
Salt to taste
Whole garam masala:
1 Bay Leaf
2 green Cardamoms minced
1 black Cardamom crushed
3-4 black Peppercorns
1 dried red Chilli
- Clean and wash the chicken thoroughly in normal running water.
- Cut into small pieces and apply curd, salt, red chilli powder and lemon juice on the chicken.
- Wash the leaves of methi and boil them in 2 cups of water.
- Add little bit of salt at the time of boiling.
- Allow to cool and then squeeze out the whole water from methi.
- Heat a pan and melt the butter.
- Add whole garam masala and saute for few seconds.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chilies, saute for few more seconds.
- Add boiled methi along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Stir the methi on medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken and chopped tomatoes.
- Mix well and stir with coriander powder and poppy seeds.
- Cover the pan and leave to cook until chicken tenders, it will take about 7-8 minutes.
- Uncover and add fresh cream.
- Stir for a minute and serve hot with roti or naan.
- Do not add water, leave the chicken to cook in its own water.
Use whole garam masala instead of garam masala powder, it’s because the aroma and flavor of fenugreek leaves and whole garam masala enhance the flavor of chicken as well.