Misal pav is a popular spicy dish from western India which is made up of a spicy misal served with bread or pav. The uniqueness of this dish is with its topping. It is normally topped with chivda mix, or sev or farsan. This spicy and lip-smacking dish is typically served for breakfast or as a snack which can be easily extended for lunch and dinner too.
Misal PaoCourse: SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Moth beans (matki) or mixed pulses – 1/2 cup
Onion (sliced) – 3 medium
Tomato (chopped) – 3 medium
Ginger – 1/2″ piece
Garlic cloves – 15 – 20
Dry coconut (grated) – 4 tbsp
Cloves – 3
Peppercorns – 6 – 7
Cinnamon – 1/4″ piece
Coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri mirchi – 2
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/3 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Jaggery (grated) – 1 to 1.5 tsp
Water – 6 cups approx.
Salt – 2.5 – 3 tsp approx.
Potato bhaji: Simple dry bhaji made from boiled potatoes in oil with mustard seeds, hing, turmeric powder and green chilies.
Kanda pohe/ chivda (optional)
Farsan mix – 1/4 kg
Onion (chopped) – 2
Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Beaten curd (optional)
Lemon wedges – 8
Laadi Pav – 16 (small)
- Wash moth beans and soak for at least 5 – 6 hrs.
- Drain moth beans, tie them in a muslin cloth and keep hanging for 8 to 10 hrs.
- Cook them and keep aside.
- Dry roast ingredients numbering 7 to 12, then roast dry coconut and grind all this by adding little water to a fine paste. (keep it aside)
- Grind onion, tomato, ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, asafoetida and onion tomato paste, stir fry for a min and keep it covered on low flame for 5 mins, stir occasionally.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and coconut spice paste, mix well and keep stirring for 5 min.
- Add cooked sprouts, jaggery, salt and water.
- Stir well and keep boiling for 5 – 7 min.
- While serving in the plate first put poha at the bottom, then potato bhaji, then moth bean curry.
- Top it with farsaan, onion, coriander and sprinkle lemon juice, beaten curd also to be poured on top.
- Serve with pav.
- Cooked sprouts can be added separately while serving or usal can be prepared and added.
More oil and chili powder can be used for making rassa.
You may use ready-made misal masala or garam masala or blend goda masala with kanda lasun masala.