Mix Veg Curry is made by cooking a mixture of vegetables together in a traditional Indian onion-tomato gravy. The dish is characterized by multiple flavors due to many vegetables which also make it quite nutritious.
Mix Veg CurryCourse: Veg, Veg BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1/2 Cup Chopped Potatoes
1/2 Cup Chopped Cauliflower
1/4 Cup Chopped Carrots
1/4 Cup Chopped French Beans
1/4 Cup Chopped Capsicum (Green Bell Peppers)
1/4 Cup Green Peas
1 Small Onion
2 Medium Sized Tomatoes
1-2 Green Chilies
3-4 Cloves of Garlic
1-inch piece of Ginger
2 Tablespoons Cream or 1/2 Cup Milk
1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi)
1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
2 Tablespoons Oil
- First roast some cashews (in oil or without it) and set them aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a pan and add chopped potatoes & carrots to it. Shallow fry them for a couple of minutes till they start to turn light golden-brown in color and get crisp on the edges.
- Then add cauliflower florets and chopped french beans to the pan. Cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add Green Peas and chopped Capsicum. These are added in the end, since they take the least amount of time to cook.
- Fry the vegetables till they are all cooked, but do not overcook them otherwise they will turn mushy. Then remove the cooked vegetables on the pan and set them aside.
- Heat a little oil in the pan. You can use any oil leftover from the previous step as well. Add Cumin Seeds and fry them till they start to splutter.
- Now add chopped onions along with ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- Fry them till the onions turn golden brown or translucent.
- Then add 2 chopped tomatoes to the pan.
- Fry till the tomatoes are cooked and turn mushy. Then let the mixture cool.
- Add the onion-tomato gravy to a grinder or food processor along with the roasted cashews. Grind the mixture to a smooth puree and add it back to the pan.
- Now add Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala and Salt to the gravy.
- Roast the gravy till it starts to leave oil on the sides. Then add 2 Tablespoons Cream or 1/2 Cup Milk.
- Then sprinkle some crushed dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) on the gravy and mix.
- Add the fried vegetables to the pan and mix to coat all the vegetables with the gravy. Cover the pan with a lid and let the vegetables cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Finally sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves on top for garnish.
- Mix Veg Curry is ready. Serve it hot along with any Indian Bread or some mild flavored rice.