Veg Korma (kurma) is a creamy flavored mix vegetable recipe made with a coconut masala. It is known for its mild spice and creamy taste as compared to the traditional curries made with tomato and onion based sauce. There are myriad ways of making kurma or korma recipe, and this recipe is dedicated to the South Indian version of kurma recipe.
Mix Vegetable KurmaCourse: Main Course, BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Spices to be fried:
Cauliflower (small florets) – 25 to 30
Carrot (peeled & diced) – 1 small
French beans (shredded) – 6
Fresh peas – handful
Potato (peeled & cubed) – 1 small / medium
Ripe Tomato (chopped) – 2 medium
Coconut – 4 tbsp
Cashew nuts (chopped) – 1 tbsp
Yogurt – 1 tsp
Tamarind – half a marble sized ball
Ginger – 1 slice
Peppercorns – 5
Cinnamon – 1/4″ piece
Star anise – 2 small or 1 big petal
Black cardamom seeds – 3 to 4
Green cardamom seeds – 3 to 4
Fennel seeds – a pinch
Bayleaf – 1 small
Kashmiri mirchi – 1
Coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder – a pinch
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
Chili powder – as per your requirement
Oil – 1 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1 1/2 tsp
Sugar – as per your requirement
Coriander leaves – for garnishing
Salt to taste
- Take a container, which would fit into your pressure cooker / pan. Put all the vegetables in it except tomato. Sprinkle cinnamon powder and little salt over it. Cover it. Pour a cup of water in the pressure pan and place the container. Pressure cook till 1 whistle.
- In the meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai and fry Peppercorns, Cloves, Cinnamon, Star anise, Black cardamom seeds, Green cardamom seeds, Fennel seeds, Bay leaf till they give out aroma. Take them out.
- Fry ginger, then red chili and now coriander seeds. Take them out.
- In the same kadai, stir fry coconut till golden brown.
- Add cashew nuts and stir fry for 5 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and stir fry till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Let it cool.
- Combine all these ingredients with tamarind and turmeric powder, grind to a fine paste without adding water.
- Heat ghee in a pan add steamed vegetables. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add ground paste, salt and water (180 to 200 ml). Stir well.
- Check the taste, add sugar and chili powder as per your requirement. Bring it to boil.
- Add yogurt and simmer for 2 to 3 min.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with puri, chapati, paratha etc.