Mix vegetable sambar is basically, an easy version of sambar recipe where both vegetables and lentils are pressure cooked together. Later it is spiced with sambar powder and tamarind juice to complete the sambar recipe process.
Mix Vegetable SambarCourse: Veg SambarCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
For Pressure Cooking:
½ cup toor dal / arhar dal / split pigeon pea
2 cups water
¼ tsp turmeric powder / haldi
1 cup radish / mooli / mulangi, chopped
5-6 pieces’ drumstick
½ cup carrot, chopped
1 cup tamarind juice
1 green chilli, split lengthwise
¾ to mato, finely chopped
few curry leaves
½ tsp turmeric powder / haldi
¾ tsp jaggery
½ onion, cubed
salt to taste
1 tbsp udupi style sambar powder
2 tbsp coconut oil / cooking oil
¾ tsp mustard seeds / rai
pinch of hing / asafoetida
2 dried red chilli
few curry leaves
- Pressure Cooking Dal & Vegetables Recipe:
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker take half cup washed toor dal.
- Furthermore, add 2 cups of water. Or water as required to cook dal.
- Also add turmeric powder.
- Then place a small bowl into a pressure cooker.
- Add veggies (radish, carrot, drumstick) or vegetables of your choice into the bowl. Do not add any water.
- Then cover the cooker and pressure cook for 5 whistles on medium flame.
- Finally, once the pressure releases, take off the cooked vegetables and mash dal well.
- Mix Veg Sambar Recipe:
- Firstly, in a large kadai squeeze 1 cup of tamarind juice.
- Furthermore, add chilli, tomatoes, curry leaves and turmeric powder.
- Also add jaggery.
- Then get the tamarind water to boil.
- Further add onions and salt.
- Mix well and boil for 5 minutes.
- Then add cooked vegetables and get to a boil again. Do not overcook as vegetables are already cooked.
- Further add mashed dal and give a good mix.
- Get the sambar to boil. Do not over boil after adding dal as it results to indigestion.
- Then add udupi style sambar powder and give a quick mix. Else the sambar powder will form lumps.
- Further boil for a minute and switch off the stove.
- Prepare the tempering by heating oil in a small kadhai.
- Further add mustard seeds, hing, red chilli and curry leaves.
- Once they splutter, pour immediately into the sambar.
- Finally, give a good mix to vegetable sambar and serve with hot steamed rice.
- Firstly, use vegetables of your choice like brinjal, potato or beans.
Furthermore, instead of pressure-cooking vegetables, cook veggies in tamarind juice for more flavors.
Additionally, mash the dal well before adding to sambar. Else they will not be of smooth consistency.
Finally, mix vegetable sambar tastes great when tamarind is boiled for minimum of 5 minutes.