Moong dal rasam is an easy and classical rasam recipe made with green gram lentil and fresh herbs. The recipe is extremely simple and easy to prepare as it does not require any additional spice mix or rasam mix. It can be easily served with hot steamed rice as a side dish or as a sambar to idli/dosa or as a bowl of simple and warm lentil soup.
Moong Dal RasamCourse: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
For Pressure Cooking:
¾ cup moong dal
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
3 chilli, slit
1 tomato, finely chopped
¼ tsp turmeric
1 tsp oil
½ tsp salt
2½ cup water
3 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp cumin / jeerra
pinch hing / asafoetida
few curry leaves
3 cup water
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut, grated
2 tbsp coriander, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker take ¾ cup moong dal, 1 tbsp ginger, 3 chilli, 1 tomato.
- Also, add ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp oil and ½ tsp salt.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle adding 2½ cup water.
- Whisk the dal to smooth consistency. Keep aside.
- In a large kadai, heat 3 tsp oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp cumin, pinch hing and few curry leaves.
- Add in cooked dal and mix well.
- Further add 3 cup water, ½ tsp salt and mix well adjusting to a soupy consistency.
- Boil for 2 minutes absorbing all flavors.
- Now add 2 tbsp coconut, 2 tbsp coriander and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Mix well.
- Finally, enjoy moong dal rasam with hot steamed rice.