Considered to be one of the must-try curries. Murg Korma is primarily prepared with cashew nuts, poppy seeds, milk, ghee, and yogurt. The color of this curry being white it is also known as ‘Safed Murg Korma (Chicken in White Gravy)’
Murg Korma (Safed Murg Korma)Course: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1 Kg boneless, skinless chicken thighs and breasts, cut into 2″ chunks
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. minced ginger, plus one 2″ piece, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp. minced garlic, plus 3 cloves, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt, to taste
1⁄4 cup blanched almonds
1⁄4 cup raw cashews
1 tbsp. poppy seeds
3⁄4 cup canola oil
1 tbsp. black peppercorns
2 tsp. fennel seeds
12 dried rose petals (optional)
3 pods green cardamom
2 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1⁄2 stick cinnamon
3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
3 green serrano chills, stemmed and minced
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1⁄2 tsp. paprika
1 cup plain yogurt
6 tbsp. heavy cream
Cooked rice, for serving
- Toss chicken, 1 tbsp. Minced ginger, minced garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl; chill 1 hour.
- Purée almonds, cashews, poppy seeds, and 1⁄3 cup water in a blender; set nut paste aside.
- Heat 1⁄2 cup oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add peppercorns, fennel, rose petals, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, and cinnamon; cook until toasted, about 2 minutes. Add sliced ginger, remaining garlic, and onions; cook until deeply caramelized, about 45 minutes.
- After cooling the mixture, purée mixture with 1⁄3 cup water; set onion paste aside.
- Add remaining 1⁄4 cup oil to pot over high heat. Add onion paste, remaining ginger, and chills; cook until oil separates, about 6 minutes, add turmeric, paprika, and salt; cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken; cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add nut paste and yogurt; cook until emulsified, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in 4 tbsp. Cream; drizzle with remaining cream to garnish.
- Serve with rice.