If you are a spice lover, this one is not to be missed. Chettinad from Tamil Nadu is one of the spiciest cuisines in India. Mushrooms tossed with coconut, tamarind, chilies, and pepper.
Mushroom ChettinadCourse: Main Course, Veg Starters, VegCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1/2 cup – washed and diced Mushrooms
2 whole dry Kashmiri Red Chilies
6 Black Peppercorns
1/2 tsp – Poppy Seeds
1 tsp – Chana dal
1/2 tsp – oil
1/4 cup – Tamarind paste
1 sprig Curry leaves
A pinch of Asafoetida
1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
- Dry roast red chilli, black peppercorn, poppy seeds, and chana dal until they are golden brown in colour. Allow to cool.
- Blend them together in a mixer till smooth.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, and add asafoetida, turmeric, curry leaves, mushrooms, and salt.
- Cook the mushrooms on a medium flame till they become soft.
- Add prepared powder and mix well.
- Dissolve the tamarind paste into 1/2 cup of water. Add the tamarind water.
- Let this cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve with fried rice or dosa.