Drumstick sambar is an easy and simple south Indian favorite sambar made with toor dal and drumsticks. It is perhaps the most popular sambar recipe which can be served for both rice and also any breakfast recipes.
Muskachya Sangacho Sambar (Drumstick Sambar)Course: Veg SambarCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
For Sambar Powder:
1 tsp coconut oil
½ tsp methi / fenugreek
¼ cup coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin / jeera
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp chana dal
20 dried red chilli
few curry leaves
pinch hing / asafetida
3 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
3 dried red chilli
pinch hing / asafoetida
few curry leaves
7 shallots, halves
1 tomato, finely chopped
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
20 pieces’ drumstick
2 cup water
2 cup toor dal
½ cup tamarind extract
2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- Firstly, in a large kadai heat 3 tsp oil and splutter tempering.
- Add 7 shallots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Also, add 1 tomato and saute until tomatoes soften.
- Further, add ½ tsp turmeric, 2 tbsp sambar powder and 1 tsp salt.
- Saute for a minute until spices turn aromatic.
- Add in 20 pieces’ drumstick and cook well.
- Now add 2 cup toor dal and 1 cup water.
- Adjust the consistency adding water as required. Cover and boil for 5 minutes or until flavors are absorbed well.
- Additionally, add ½ cup tamarind extract and stir well.
- Continue to boil for 5 minutes or until the raw flavor of tamarind is gone.
- Finally, add 2 tbsp coriander and enjoy drumstick sambar with hot steamed rice.
- Firstly, adding shallots in the sambar makes flavorful.
Also, you can use store brought sambar powder if you do not wish to prepare homemade sambar powder.
Additionally, add tamarind once the drumsticks are cooked well, else it will not cook.
Finally, drumstick sambar recipe tastes great when served hot and spicy.