Nachani Satva is a Goan specialty. It is mildly sweet and delicious. Like most other Goan sweets this recipe also uses coconut milk and Jaggery. The main ingredient is Nachani (Ragi) and is very nutritious.
Nachni Satva (Ragi Pudding)Course: Main Course, VegCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1 cup Nachani Grains (Finger Millet / Ragi)
1 cup Fresh Scraped Coconut
½ cup Jaggery Crushed (adjust as per taste)
¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
2 tbsp Cashew Nuts chopped
1 tsp Pure Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1/4 tsp Salt
- Wash and Soak Nachani in water for 8 hours.
- Grind soaked Nachani into a smooth fine paste, add water as required.
- Strain it using a muslin cloth to remove Nachani shells
- Transfer strained Nachani paste into a pan. Add water such that it covers the paste and there is a water layer of about 1 cm over the paste. Let it stand for 6 hours.
- Drain water, the extract is superfine paste of Nachani called “Satva”.
- Grind fresh coconut to make coconut milk. Transfer Satva to a thick bottom pan. Add Jaggery, coconut milk and salt.
- Cook on low flame for 15-20 minutes stirring continuously. As it cocks the mixture will be glazy.
- Mix chopped cashew nuts and cardamom powder to it.
- Grease a flat plate / tin (about 10-inch diameter) with pure ghee.
- Add the remaining pure ghee to the mixture and spread the mixture to form a thick layer.
- Leave it to cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- Cut it into pieces and serve it cold as dessert.
- You can store this in refrigerator for 3-4 days.