Goan Patal bhaji is a spicy white peas coconut-based curry served in Goan local hotels and cafes for breakfast. It is even served along with Sukki bhaji which is then mixed with patal bhaji by the customer while eating. Such mix serves of two bhajis is called Mix Bhaji.
Goan Patal BhajiCourse: Breakfast, SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
White peas (soaked overnight) – 3/4 cup
Onion – (sliced) 1 medium size, (chopped) 1 small size
Fresh scrapped coconut – (3 tbsp)
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Cloves – 2 to 3
Cinnamon – a tiny piece
Star anise – 2 to 3 petals (seeds removed)
Fennel seeds – a pinch
Peppercorns – 5
Mace – a tiny petal
Coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
Tamarind (optional) – a tiny piece
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 tsp
- Boil white peas and keep them aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok.
- Add cloves, cinnamon, fennel seeds, peppercorns, star anise, coriander seeds and mace.
- Fry till spices give out aroma and remove.
- Add sliced onion and fry till golden brown.
- Add coconut and stir fry till it turns slightly brown.
- Grind spices with onion, coconut and tamarind by adding little water.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a cooking pan and chopped onion.
- Fry till translucent.
- Add garam masala and boiled peas. (2 tbsp boiled peas to be mashed and added)
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder and salt to taste.
- Add required quantity of water and cook on high flame for 5 min.
- Add ground paste.
- Stir well and simmer for 2 – 3 min.
- Add coriander leaves.
- Serve with pav or puri.
- You may make it spicier.
You may use two Goan red chilies while roasting spices and avoid chili powder.