Goan and Maharashtrian festivals are incomplete without sweet delights that simply add life to the festive spirit. Puran Poli is one of them and is made with chana dal, flour and cardamom and sugar.
Puran PoliCourse: StartersCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1/2 kg Gram dal (lentils)
1/2 kg Jaggery (cane sugar)
1/2 kg Maida (white flour)
100 ml Oil
1 tsp Cardamom powder
1 tsp Ghee (hydrogenated oil)
- Wash the gram dal and boil this with half tsp salt and water till it is very soft.
- When it is slightly cold, strain, and add jaggery and grind to a fine paste.
- If it is sticky put it on a low fire and dry up completely. This is called ‘puran’.
- Knead maida with 1/2 tsp salt and water. Add oil and knead it till absorbed.
- Now make equal balls of ‘puran’ and kneaded maida.
- Roll maida ball into small puri, fill it with puran ball and seal it.
- Make small chapatti (poli) of this stuffed ball and fry it on both sides.
- Eat this puran poli with melted pure ghee.