Kirl/Quill (Bamboo shoots) are favorite among Goans. Quill (Bamboo shoots) are yummy and are used to prepare a variety of dishes. Bamboo shoots are used fresh or pickled to prepare a variety of dishes. The fresh tender bamboo remains crunchy even after cooking, whereas, the pickled bamboo shoots become soft over a long period of time.
Fresh bamboo shoots are available only in the early rainy season. Tender bamboo shoots are chopped and sold in the market. Like many other vegetables, the outer layers the bamboo shoots have to be peeled, till we get the inner white, hard, edible portion. This edible white portion is used to prepare spicy tonak (curry)
Quillachi/ Kirlache Tonak (Bamboo Shoot Curry)Course: Main Course, Veg Starters, VegCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
400 – 500* grams Tender bamboo shoot pieces, after deeping in water for 2-3 days
2 Tbsp Toor dal
½ cup freshly scrapped Coconut
1 lime size Jaggery
2 green chilis, vertically slit
½ tsp Chili powder
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
Pinch of Hing
1 tsp Mustard
½ tsp Jeera
1 Tbsp oil
Salt to taste
- (Kirlache / Quillachi Preparation: Peel the outer layers until you get the hard inner core. Throw away the outer layers.
- These inner hard cores are further cut into small tiny pieces and used in cooking.
- These pieces are than kept in water for at least 2-3 days. The water is changed every day.
- After three days these pieces is used in making spicy tonak.)
- Soak toor dal in cup of water.
- Take oil in a thick bottom vessel, heat the vessel, and when oil is hot add slit green chilis, mustard, and hing.
- When mustard and jeera start spurting, add soaked toor dal and water soaked tender bamboo pieces.
- Add water up to the level of bamboo shoot pieces.
- Heat the vessel to about 5 – 10 minutes or till the toor dal is tender. When toor dal turns tender, it can be assumed that the bamboo shoots are well cooked.
- Now, add jaggery, chili powder, turmeric powder, and require quantity of salt and heat the tonak for further 2 – 3 minutes.
- When water is about to dry up, add coconut and keep stirring till water dries up.
- Kirlache / Quillachi tonak is now ready to be served with the rice plate or served with Goan flat bread.
- Some people who taste fresh, cooked bamboo shoots for the first time may feel some unpleasant taste/smell. But proper handling before use, i.e. washing and proper cooking removes the so called unpleasant taste.