Sangacho ross is Goan vegetarian dish and is very simple, easy to prepare and tastes delicious.
Sangacho Ross (Goan Drumstick Curry)Course: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
5 tablespoons Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal)
For the gravy
4 tablespoons Fresh coconut, grated
1 teaspoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
2 Dry red chilies, adjust according to spice threshold
1 Tamarind, marble sized ball
5-6 Whole Black Peppercorns
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
1 tsp Jaggery
½ tspn Mustard
Pinch of Hing, Asafoetida
- Soak the toor dal in water for 2 hours, then pressure cook the dal.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the drumsticks into 3 inch pieces.
- Place them in a pot of water, over a heat and bring the water to a boil. Allow the drumsticks to cook for 5-6 minutes and then turn the heat off, drain the water, reserving the water and the drumsticks for later use.
- To prepare the masala, grind all the ingredients mentioned above under “For the gravy” along with half cup water and keep aside.
- Next, place a saucepan on the heat, add little oil, and when oil is hot, add mustard allow to crackle, add hing.
- Now, add in the cooked dal, the freshly ground gravy masala and the boiled drumsticks. Add water depending on how thick or thin you want the drumstick curry to be – for this use the water in which the drumsticks were cooked.
- Bring the drumstick curry to a boil and allow it to simmer until the masalas have cooked thoroughly.
- Finally, add a teaspoon of salt or as per your taste, mix well and serve.
- Serve the goan drumstick curry along with plain rice for a goan lunch or dinner.