As princely as it sounds, this recipe offers a burst of deep, rich flavors. Button mushrooms bathed in a hearty gravy with a freshly made shahi garam masala.
Shahi MushroomCourse: Main Course, Veg StartersCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
250 gms Button mushroom
1 tbsp Butter / Ghee Clarified
To be Roasted and Ground:
1 – 2 Cinnamon
1 tbsp Caraway Seeds
1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp Peppercorns
10 gm Ginger Dry
1 Cardamom Black
Mace, a little bit
Star anise, little bit
1/2 tablespoon Coriander seeds
2 – 3 Cloves
3 – 4 Cardamom Green
Nutmeg – little bit
For the Gravy:
1 tbsp Butter Ghee Clarified /
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp Onion puree
3 chilies Green
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Chili powder
to taste Salt
Water, to de glaze pan
250 gms Tomato puree
1/2 tsp Sugar
2 tbsps Cashew nut paste
2 tbsps Cream
- Crush the green chilies with a pinch of salt and keep aside.
- Quarter the mushrooms and keep aside.
- Heat clarified butter in a pan. Fry mushrooms till golden brown in colour. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned in the list till a good aroma emanates. Switch off heat. Grind to a fine powder, when cool.
- Heat clarified butter in a pan.
- Add the Bay Leaf and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add the ginger-garlic paste and onion puree.
- Stir for a few seconds.
- Tip in the crushed green chilli and saute for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin seeds, coriander powder and chilli powder.
- De-glaze them with little water.
- Add tomato puree and a little sugar.
- Cook till oil separates.
- Add cashew nut paste and ground masala and mix well.
- Add the mushroom and cook for a minute.
- You may add water to acquire the desired consistency and bring to a boil.
- Add cream and juice of half a lime and mix well.
- Serve hot with any Indian Bread of your choice.